Tuesday, February 3, 2015

A Lesson Learned from SideWalk Vendors

Good Morning Monday. Actually, Monday is the most difficult day for me. Not just the usual Monday blues, but the aching pain of leaving my child for a 5-day work away from home. For most of the Mondays, she would cling to me tight and utter a small cry when I have to leave. And it just breaks my heart and I die a little every time. And I just really have to work. Both of us, husband and I, or else, we will not be able to provide for the family. Just a wonderful reward knowing at her age, 1 year old, she knows me as her mother. I pray for the strength to keep this going.

And while we are at EDSA on our way back to the apartment, husband and I were looking out the window of the bus. And out of the blue, I blurted.

Me: Kita mo ba yung sidewalk vendor? (Particularly, a middle aged woman in Starmall, selling candies, kakanin and pineapple juice) Tignan mo mukha niya, hindi mo kita ang worry, pero ang andun is some form of serenity. Sapat kaya ang kinikita niya?

Husband: Iba kasi ang iniisip niya. (Referring to the calmness refleected on her face) Sa kanila, kung anuman ang kinikita nila, pinagkakasya nila. Hanggang dun lang. Yun ang level nila eh. Walang anumang extra. Kung meron man, yun yung normal naman na meron sa ibang tao. (Demonstrating his two hands with gap in between for me to see the difference. The vendors (left hand) below the normal (right hand) he is mentioning)

Me: So meaning, itong normal, (Pointing to his right hand), pwede pang bumaba dito? (Pointing to his left hand)

Husband: Pwede pero yung mga nasa normal, ang gusto nila eh yung asa level din nila. Or taas.

Me: I mean, kung ang thinking ng mga asa normal parang ganito. Then, mas marami silang ipon kasi very basic ang binibili nila di ba? Daily needs and food pero pinagkakasya nila.

And I wonder how the sidewalk vendors go through each day. But it makes me a little proud of them (speaking in general) because they are making at least a decent living out of selling not the other means. And I think this is a natural reaction to the present situation - matutong bumaluktot habang maikli ang kumot. The tendency is to response on our current level or in some cases climb up even if it is beyond our means. Sad truth. If only, we still know the basic, live in basic, and stay in basic, then most probably, most of us would be savings for our retirement. Not just for retirement, I suppose, but living as well financially free.

So it has been decided in one of our conversation in the bus ride to postpone the anniversary trip. The money from the 52 week challenge last year is now moving to the business we have been planning to but do no have a concrete details earlier. The idea of the nature of business has presented itself this weekend. Since, it has not yet been finalized and not yet in black and white, I cannot write about the full context yet. But one thing is definite, as the husband told me, we should grow the money first and settle for a simple celebration for the anniversary. Not a bad idea at all. It gives me the pride that my husband is thinking this way.

As the hashtag open use in our household today - #TipidPaMore and #InvestPaMore.

Just sharing. Happy Monday, folks! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment