Friday, June 12, 2015

Our 2nd UITF - BPI Philippine High Dividend Equity Fund

This past few weeks, I can see my stocks portfolio in 'red'. I can feel my blood pressure raising. Hahaha. Kidding. I know there are actually this 'low' days and also those 'high' days. And I am not bothered at the moment, eventually it will go up. When? I am still a newbie with the stock market so I am not sure yet when. So that's where those 'forget-me-muna' money should go. Those pennies I am not going to use in the near future. So for the meantime, I am diverging my energy to other matters.
 
Honestly, with the current status, husband and I opted still to open the UITF (Unit Investment Trust Fund) from BPI which was long been postponed. Due basically to the conflict of schedule. This is one of our financial goal this year. And finally, last week was the best time.
 
We went to our BPI branch and had my single account converted to joint account. This is because we do not want to open another account for the settlement account and it is with BPI that we have savings account aside from this is the most convenient bank for us at this time. We filled up tons of papers and also answered the risk profile. We were torn between the BPI Philippine High Dividend Equity Fund vs the BPI Philippine Equity Index Fund. And after discussing these with the bank personnel and shown us the similarities and slight differences, we have chosen the former.
 
BPI Philippine High Dividend Equity Fund was launched August 16, 2013.
 
BPI Philippine Equity Index Fund was launched May 20, 2013
 
Both funds minimum initial investment is 10,000 pesos with 1.50% per annum trust fee. Minimum transaction amount is 1,000 pesos. No minimum holding period for both as well. Both are classified as aggressive investments with investment horizon of more than seven years. This is fine for us since we are aiming for a long term investment. The holding firms are almost the same as well.
 
We have signed up as well for the regular subscription plan with only 1,000 pesos per month. We wanted to do cost-averaging. But if we have extra money, we can always transfer funds for this investment. These fund can be viewed online so we can check it from time to time. The next day I was able to see it right away.
 
 
I have learned about this UITF funds from the forums I read and financial blogs who featured it. And like what was discussed with us, these two are almost similar. Just that the difference with the NAVPU. We took time to review this UITF fund before actually dipping into it and this is our choice.
 
We have differences when it comes to where are we going to put our money. It is, after all our hard earned money. So we better make our due diligence to study, ask, analyze, and review where we actually wanted to place it with not forgetting that it is align to our financial goals. We just don't go with the tide. And most specially, we just don't place it in one basket.
 
Hm, so why we haven't left it in the savings account while it is in red? Just this: Robert G. Allen: “How many millionaires do you know who have become wealthy by investing in savings accounts? I rest my case.”
 
Different strokes for different folks. God Bless. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hello Bee. Found your blog via Pinasforgood. I'm wondering how's the ROI of your investment in BPI Equity Fund? I'm an OFW and love to learn how to invest in the Philippines to achieve financial freedom.
    I'm happy to see that you keep on blogging. Looking forward for more finance updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I can't say that we have already claimed the ROI since what we are doing is that we are enrolled for regular subscription. These UITFs of BPI can be viewed online which allows us to see the fluctuation of its paper gains/loss from day to day. With regular subscriptions, we don't timed the market. BPI automatically deduct the amount on our set subscribed dates. High Dividend is a high risk investment so we expect paper losses from time to time. For the BPI Short term fund, there is a steady paper gain however it is a conservative type of investment. I am still learning as well and gets inspiration from personal finance bloggers. You can do it. Keep on reading and learning. Thank you for dropping by. :)

      Delete