Thursday, February 5, 2015

Tracking My Daily Expenses

They say that it takes 21 repetition or a month for something to become a habit. True to me. So it just gave me this time to write about it. My first month to complete a daily routine. Because I wanted to make sure that I already have this habit incorporated with my daily routine. Otherwise, it was just a mere blah blah and no action at all.

For the past years, I have tried several times logging in the details of my daily expenses but miserably failed. I used the excel file in the pc. Last August 2014, I did try again using the excel file and finally give up last November because the truth is, nothing tallies from my resources to the outflow. In short, never accurate.

My college friend is very good at tracking her money ins and outs.I remember, during our college days, she used to have this notebook where every time she spent, she listed it down to every centavo. When we went to our very first company, she does the same tracking. And 4 years ago, when we visited her place, we found her doing the same thing, this time on an excel sheet. We even kid her about it. And she told us that, that is her and can no longer take it out from her system. She's very dedicated to it. No wonder, marami na siyang napundar. It is admirable.

Following all the failures in tracking my expenses and thought that no applications will ever best suits me, I stumbled to an interesting blog. Yes, Pinas for Good. When I thought I have read almost every blog in the net about frugal tips, minimalism, financial literacy, financial wellness, and financial freedom, there is Pinas for Good. One simple glance at her notebook of expenses, investments, and the $3 Mcdo Meals every month.

Almost every blog I have read to track the expenses, they share almost the same common ground. Back to basic. Yes, old school handwritten formatted notebooks. But for Pinas for Good, it is very simple. No format at all. One of the reason I fail? Because, with formatted file, I used to end up, adding more on the 'other' fields. Thus, it has never been accurate for me. Almost everything has remained unaccounted.

Just each day, I write everything in the notebook. Those I received within the day and those which comes out to the very last cent. I no longer write those days when I don't spend at all. Very simple right and freestyle.

And definitely there is 'But' for this. This works for me. And may be different to yours. Different strokes for different folks right? So for me, though a little tedious, it is undoubtedly helpful to me  Maybe by the end of the year, I will be able to know by then, how much actually I have spent for the different things in my personal life. And can reduce or eliminate some unnecessary items I can live with a little or without at all.

Maybe someday, I can switch to a mobile application or an excel. We'll see. For the meantime, this is working for me.

Just sharing. :) Smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment