Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Closing Exercises: My Thoughts

All these years, I have turned down several invitations to be the guest speaker of my  elementary school. Yes, my alma mater. One of the basic reason is that I do not know  what should I have to convey with the graduates and the parents. I feel like I do not  have enough confidence to be in front of all of them. I feel like I do not have anything to share at all. Like I haven't accomplished much to publicly speak in front of all the graduates.

But then, I guess now is the perfect time to accept it. I once climbed the same stage to claim my diploma and awards with a great anticipation of the next stage in my life. A new beginning to start with afterwards.

So what will I am gonna say? I haven't been successful in any areas yet. Just like them, I am still at the starting line. But then, success is not about just making a thousand a day, right? It is not about being listed in the forbes magazine. Or being in the top 10 tax payer of the country. So maybe, all these years that they keep on asking me to speak is that they are seeing something in me I never thought I have.

I have told them finally that each phase of life is a journey. And theirs just started. That anyone can dream and be able to accomplish those dreams. As Lupita Nyong'o said, "our dreams are valid". There maybe a lot of bumpy roads ahead but when there is focus and determination, we will always be at our destination in no time. The best thing is to enjoy the journey all through out. Eyeing the destination will never be fulfilling when we haven't enjoy those moments of hardships, those sweet joy of accomplishing small items, those tears of frustrations, and all.

And also I must abide by the theme: “Saktong Buhay: Sa De-Kalidad na Edukasyon Pinanday”. I have to research more and think of something close to reality inspirational speech. That thing which will not bore the crowd for a lengthy talk and then nothing remains afterwards.

I have been preparing for it as early as last last weekend when I received the invitation. There are a lot of things running in my head but I have to trim it down to that which is close to the theme. I am not perfectly in line with the theme actually, because I know some of the successful people I know never even made to college. Somehow, since I will have to speak the importance of education, I might as well, select the words that I am going to say. This is only my view point.

When I was young, they instilled it to me that to be able to land on a better paying job was to finish school. I knew it from the deepest back of my mind. But then as we grow old, learned the society, and eventually become curious with others success, education is just a part. Most of the success stories are from the persons themselves. The drive of the person that no matter how many failures we encounter, our willingness to stand up and beat the odds is what matters.

Just sharing. God Bless. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment