Sunday, December 21, 2014

My Version of Credit Cards Horror Story

Truth be told, I am super embarrassed sharing my horror experience with credit cards. That is the reason it took me so long to publish this blog. But then, as time passes by, I have given it a considerable thought. I am only human. I made mistakes. At present, I have realized it and I am trying to be a better person than yesterday. And I hope that I can sustain it. :)

Just like what I shared from my last personal experience. I was once in deep trouble with credit cards. I was once a revolver. I paid only the minimum amount due each time. Sometimes, I even missed it. And so as months passed by, the compounding interest is getting bigger and bigger. To the point that I can no longer pay. The purchasing power of those plastic cards provided me was beyond my supposed to be means of living. My minimum due amount was even bigger than what I earned and received on my monthly pay. Imagine, where would I get the payment? I only have one source of income. I have no one to turn to anymore. Borrowing more money means another interest added to my boiling issue of dues.
The culprit? Spending without thinking. Spending more with friends and trips because I wanted to belong. Like keeping up with the Joneses. Spending on things which eventually collected dust in my closets. Dining out each day. Straight purchases and oh those sweet tempting installment offers. And the worst cases, were always resorting to cash advances.

I can't sleep well. I have to think of the next day. What it will bring me again. Another series of different calls. Another sets of making promises to pay and ignoring some calls. I get startled at the rings. What puts me to a limit was when those credit collectors started sending snail mails at home stating they are from law offices. I felt like I wanted to be swallowed whole by the ground whenever I came home finding another email treat with another larger amount to be paid. I was afraid. Ashamed. Lost. I exactly literally do not know what to do that time. Just three cards and it had turn my days and nights to nightmares.

Looking back, I am grateful I was able to get out of the pit. Yes, I have learnt the lesson the very difficult way. After that chapter of my life, I was able to breath. What I did? I did the best thing for me during that time. I have changed lifestyle. From lavish spending to going back to basic. No shopping, even window shopping. Every centavo counts, listed, and budgeted. Every frugality tips counted. If it is a walking distance, go. Staying at the apartment on rest days as well. I have compromised. I dedicated myself to payment and ending my credit saga little by little before anything else. Baby steps. No excuses. And it is true, if there's a will, there is actually a way. There maybe humps along the way, but those are nothing when you are focus.

There is nothing wrong with credit cards as long as we are able to pay the full amount that we are due. As long as we do not permit the credit company take what is more from us by being not a revolver. So long as we are in control of those cards and not the other way around.

Different strokes for different folks. :) Have a wonderful holidays.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, merry christmas.Ngayon ko lng napuntahan ang blogsite mo.
    Ganyan dn ako noon, kuha ng kuha ng installment, mahilig ako ng alahas, ang sarap kc gumamit ng credit card tlga di mo alam nababaon ka na tlga buti na lng naka recover na tayo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry christmas too Ms Grace. oo nga,buti na lang. With God's grace,natapos din ang ilang taon na sakit ng ulo ko. Grabe talaga. Super natrap ako dun. Pero now na we are learning,thanks to someone like you,madami akong natutunan.and i know paulit ulit na to.hahaha.pero you really inspire me.Happy new year. :)

      Delete