Tuesday, December 23, 2014

My Feelings for Holiday Gift Giving

A little story: During my college days, my parents would gave me a week allowance for my fare back and forth our province from the university I have attended. The fare that time took 16% of that allowance. Included in that meager allowance was my budget for the 5 day-food allowance and school projects. I actually needed to tighten the belt to be able to fit in all my needs as a student. I walked to and fro the school university each day. And though I am from a no privilege family, I am not a good cook myself. So I ended up buying bulk of frozen foods and my favorite was - canned tuna in flakes in oil (One can for 2 meals - breakfast and dinner. Hahaha. Super tipid talaga.)

With that situation,  I needed to budget well my allowance or I may end up with nothing to eat before going home the following week. Good thing was that before going back to the boarding house, i brought along rice. (Mahal kasi ang bigas). But, consciously, I have to save. Why? I wanted to give something for my inaanak during christmas. Bakeeet, ikinain mo na lang sana? See, when I was a kid I envied those kids who received their presents from their god parents. Because I don't. My godparents lived far from us and did not bother sending me a gift or even a card. And I understand why they were not sending gifts to me, now. But before, I do not and often wonder how does it feel to receive one. I told myself that no matter what and how, my inaanak won't feel the same way I felt as a young girl who only wishes a surprise present from Ninong and/or Ninangs.

Note: If I only continue to be frugal after graduation, I may have achieved my goals already. Sadly, I learnt the hard way.

So with what little I have, I have to buy presents even if it were biscuits, handkerchiefs, socks, or anything that my budget allowed me to. Diligently wrap it. Oh I love the feeling of wrapping gifts. I know, it is not environment friendly. But, it is the indescribable feeling that enveloped me when I hand the gift to them and saw those gratitude in their eyes. Plus, those anticipation I can feel when they tore those glittery gift wrappers. Such a wonderful sight for me. Gives me the giddy feeling of able to give.

As years go by, it is the same tradition I have promised myself. Not just for my inaanak by then. When I started working, I have included gifts for my family and relatives. Last year, I did the mistake of last minute shopping. I overspent. So, this year, as early as October, gifts were wrapped. Aside from it did not give me stress doing the christmas shopping, I was able to grab those items on sales and even was able to grab some from Divisoria. Personally, I still wrap those items. It gives a little surprise on what is inside the wrapper.

As I mentioned I did last minute shopping last year,  but I avoided the long queue for the free gift wrapping provided by the department store. So instead, I opted for the take home christmas' gift wrapper. I was not able to use it all though, I kept it. And it was of good use this year. Hehehe. Saves me from buying wrappers this year.

Since, I haven't thought of yet and considered which charity institution I will support this year, I just decided to wrap little christmas' presents for those less fortunate kids in my hometown. And a planned little christmas party for those kids is now in the works once my holiday vacation starts.  I know it is only a small thing, but I hope to see smiles on their faces knowing that they are able to open something and enjoy the holiday spirits.

Happy holidays! :) Smile.

2 comments:

  1. Ako, iisa lang ang ninang ko pero infairness walang palya ang christmas cash gift ko (P 100) from the day of baptism until 18 yrs old ako.
    Pero ang inaanak ko almost 20 na yata may halo pang sabit & aside from my relatives & neighbors, ang hirap maging single lagi kang kinukuhang ninang :).
    But then it also makes me happy to see the smiles in their faces when I give them gifts :) every christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you pa rin. Ako mga god parents ko, mag former officemates ng nanay ko kaya after nilang magdecide na sa province na tumira, wala ng contacts. Ayun, wala tuloy akong narerecieve sa kahit na anong occasion. Kaya I made sure na yung sa anak ko, kamag anak lang god parents niya. lol.

    And yes, true yan. Ang saya talaga kapag nakikita mo yung smiles nila sa binigay mo. Every christmas talaga, yun yung parang naging promise ko na sa sarili ko kahit ba gaano kahirap mag isip ng ibibigay na gift. :)

    ReplyDelete