Tuesday, April 7, 2015

I Collect Coins - A Little Saving Obsession

During my younger years, I remember too well that me and my siblings used to have this bamboo coin banks. We would fill it up until we can no longer shake it. Once we break the bamboo coin bank, we enjoy counting the contents varying from 25, 50, 1 peso and the octagonal 2 peso coins. (Hahaha, yes naabutan ko pa ang 50 cents at 2 peso coin) We would normally asked my mother to keep it. It was a motivation for us to save for something we wanted to buy, and eventually claimed it.  Or sometimes, my mother would asked us if she can borrow it para pandagdag pambili ng ulam. Until it was totally forgotten.

As time goes by, I then used those empty powder bottle as well and then just anything I can put coins. Until I totally stopped. (You all know the story)

However, it came to me a few weeks back, while filling several canisters of 5s and 10s, these money ain't earning anything at all. Not even the 0.25% minus the 20% tax interest of the bank. And although, I deposit the contents whenever I get the chance to count it, still there are these missing months that they were stuck in those canisters.  I then decided and added to my 'monthly to do list' to make a regular bank trip for these coins.  I did for the month of March (1,100 pesos in total) and will resume this month for the rests of the canisters. I then moved the amount to our emergency fund.

So, where does these 5s and 10s are coming from? They are actually from the daily loose change from jeepney/trike fare off to and fro the office. And I get the obsession of collecting those 5s and 10s when I attended a leadership seminar once. We were asked what we were collecting that time. And I do not have anything to contribute while others said they were collecting 5s, 10s, and even 25 cents in a 6 liter empty mineral water gallon. Curiosity got me and eventually started collecting as well.

The husband gave me one cylinder coin bank which contains 1 peso coins for 'something' I want in the future. Why only 1 peso? It's the biggest coin that could fit in the slit aside from the 25s and 10 cents. But decided to exclude the 25s and 10cents. As of this writing, I think it is now half full (I depended on shaking it, lol). I just hope it is more than what I thought when it is time to open it.

Therefore, I can conclude that I am a saver since I was young but, yes there is this BUT. I have to polish my savings skills. I am not yet that consistent enough. Though I am now able to resist few temptations and tries to live in a minimalist way since 2014. Yet, there is still those little urges for sandals and shoes. Oh women's love. Having the correct mindset is keeping me sane that I still have pairs I can use and there is no need yet for new one.

Thanks to this blog which actually helps me hold it off because I am accountable to what I post. Not only to those who read but more purposely to me who writes my journey towards financial freedom. After all, I do not want to start all over again. My goal is to move forward and if there are bumps along the way or detours or dead ends which are parts of the journey, still my financial trouble in the past is a lesson learned the hard way I should always remind myself with.

Just sharing. God Bless. :)

4 comments:

  1. Hahah, parang ganyan din ako noon, 5cents at 10 cents nilalagay ko sa empty johnsons baby powder tapos, uutangin ng nanay ko pambili ng ulam, tapos mangangakong ibalik na may dagdag hanggang sa makalimutan na, kaya naglalaho na ang ipon ko :)
    Pero ngayon badly needed ko ang coins kasi kailangan sa pamasahe at dun ako kinukulang kaya kasi pag nagbayad ka sa jeep ng 100 peso magagalit pa sa iyo or kung minsan kulang ang sukli kaya gusto nasa coin purse ko lahat ng coins ko :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same pala tayo Miss Grace. Hehehe. Oo, ang ginawa ko naman sa pamasahe sa jeep, since lagi nilang hindi binabalik yung 50 cents kapag nagbabayad ako sa jeep, nung March, nagpapalit ako sa tindahan ng mga 25 cents. Hehehe...tapos, kapag me bibilhin ako, papel ang pinambabayad ko para coins ang change, and then yung exact amount lang pinapamasahe ko na 7.50 pesos. Nanghihinayang kasi ako sa 10 pesos for 5 days na fare ko sa jeep na hindi nababalik everytime na papasok ako sa office. 2 rides kasi ako kapag hindi ako nakakapaglakad. Pwede ng pambili ng 2 bundles na okra sa palengke dito malapit sa amin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also collect coins! Style ko naman, tig Php 5 and Php 10 lang ang tinatabi ko, ung iba, pang pamasahe na sa jeep. :0 Just yesterday i deposited Php 1600 worth of Php 5 and Php 10 coins! Oh diba, not bad! Medyo nahiya lang ako nung binibilang na ng teller. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, congrats Mommy sa deposit mo. I feel you. Ganun din pakiramdam ko kapag asa harap na ako ng teller. Iniisip ko na lang dagdag din ito sa savings. Ang ginagawa ko naman, binibilang ko na sa bahay, tas bundle ko ng tig 100 yung 5s and then ganun din sa 10s, tas per plastic, depende kung gaaano kadami, tig 500. Kasi lagi akong sinasabihan nung teller na ibundle at gawin tig 500 per plastic. Ayun, tas nilalagyan ko na lang ng label. :) Nung mga first, second deposit ko sinasabihan pa ako na hindi pa makecredit agad sa account ko kasi papacount pa nila dun sa kasama nila sa bank. Gang sa nasanay na rin yun teller na nagdedeposit ako ng coins. :)

      Delete