Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Decluttering: Where Those Items Should Go?

With my parent's house under construction for renovation, everything is a mess right now. Our things just scattered around the area and things needed are no where to be found. They are currently staying at my cousin's house occupying a single room. The renovation is a project for me so it's actually an awesome feeling knowing that it is now materializing.

As I examine those clutters, I know I contributed more to those. Keeping every single memorabilia before, telling myself that someday I am going to make a scrapbook out of it. Sadly, that someday never came. The memory and the feelings fade, so I can no longer remember the very exact details of those events anymore. And as time go by, the priorities change, so they remained in those closets that were never open until just a week ago.

Holding on to these things have kept them in our house for a longer time. And their functions  were actually never maximize. I should learn and practice the art of letting go.

If I am going to keep something today, I will have to make sure it is properly labeled.

BUT I will have to think more than twice, if it is really worth keeping. Else, just like those stuffs which collected dust over time and fades, easily cracked now, they maybe worth sharing with those who needed it the most or could be of use to somebody else. And will not procrastinate on starting and finishing the idea on my mind whether if it is for scrap book or memorabilia board.

De-cluttering daily will probably help so it will not pile up and consume space in our house. Examples are receipts, bills and even those bus tickets should have their own place. What will be the retention of those? Bus tickets can go to trash bin as soon as we're home. Bills, maybe, at least a year in an envelope. Receipts can be keep for at least a week or maybe right after re-checking can now go to bins. I will have to determine the retention of the other documents.

We have so many clothes by the way. They were given to us by my grandmother when we were kids. My mother keeps it. Maybe for the memories. But then, it gotten old fashion now and the color has changed. Some now fits my little niece and she is using those. When my child grows a little older, she can also use some of those if not yet worn out. Saves me. The rest are for the neighbors who are willing to take it and use it.

The glass wares which were wedding gifts to my parents were also kept. I think, that is actually a mistake. Because, now they are easily cracked and broken. So they ended up in trash bins and were never been of use. Our wedding gifts, husband and I decided to use it right away.

Our toys when we are children are still at home. Yes, they are very outdated now. So maybe, those less fortunate kids can go away with it. The stuffed toys, though, were washed for my child when she turns 3 or 4. Right now, those furs can only make her cough.

I love books. So I keep most of them. I will allot a little space for that. Someday, when my child learns to read, I will introduce more books to her. Right now, she just flipped pages and torn most of her children books.

My father started giving away most of the useful items. The rest belongs to waste bins or junk shops. At least, there is still little money from the junk shops for those broken electric fans parts, broken flat irons, old broken tv, and other non functional electronic devices.

Hopefully, when the renovated house is complete, we will have lesser things at home and a cleaner one.

Just sharing. :) Smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment