Monday, October 19, 2015

All About SSS – Part 1 - Understanding The Basic

I have been heavily involved lately processing the SSS of my father as well as for my husband who is now in between jobs. More likely, I am either on the phone or on the branch itself looking for answers on what and how to proceed further. Honestly, madaming vague information for me even when I read over and over again the SSS website. Kaya, I've been dedicating few times reading some sites which contains information about SSS. It helps too that I visit some forums where I found some related situations as mine and verified it with the SSS themselves.

My father has been employed before with an SSS loan that went unpaid in the 80’s. Oo, 1980s pa. Sobrang tagal na. Yung loan niya was 300 pesos during that time. His contribution listed in the website is 35.70 pesos only per month na hindi na rin natuloy. I have been contemplating for the longest time before kung kaya ng budget ko na ipagbayad siya ng monthly contribution until I finally was able to allocate a portion from my monthly budget. My purpose is that nanghihinayang ako dun sa dati nilang contributions. Only few months left na lang to complete the 120 contribution at pwede silang mag karoon ng pension once nakapagfile na ng retirement. If you have been reading my previous posts, part ng monthly budget ko ang monthly stipend sa parents ko eventhough I am married na. It’s a promised I made before to myself na hangga’t kaya ko, magbibigay ako ng kaya ko. Since, aging is inevitable plus, dumarami na rin ang gastusin as we age, kaya naisip ko na ituloy na rin para pandagdag na rin sa budget nila by that time. He is 57 years old turning 58 this coming month.

So, July last year, we went to an SSS branch and queued for ‘General’ questions. Dun namin nalaman na 4500plus pesos na yung loan amount niya earning an interest over the last 3 decades. We decided to pay the amount plus the contribution nung nagpunta kami. Sabi nung sa SSS, we can start at the smallest and gradually increase it monthly. At yun nga ginawa namin, from 110 na contribution starting July 2014, hanggang sa naging 990 nung April this year. And then I was stuck with 990 per month na until now. Malaki na rin kasi ang 990 pesos per month for someone like me.

So, let me try to enumerate few information I have learned from SSS for this post:

1) If you are a student or simply hindi pa naging employed ever at nagapply ka for SSS number and wanted to start making contributions, ang category mo is self employed and will have to provide the proof of your source of income that you are earning at least 1000pesos. 1000 kasi ang minimum monthly salary credit so one can start to contribute 110 per month. If mas mataas ang declared salary range, tataas din ang SSS contribution. Magbabago yung category mo once you become employed. It will become covered employee. But, iisa lang ang SSS number natin for the rest of our lives.

2) If naging OFW ang nagcocontribute, it will be to change to OFW. Ang minimum monthly salary bracket for an OFW is 5000. Ang minimum contribution nun is 550 pesos. 

3) Looking at the SSS website (https://www.sss.gov.ph/) ang nakalist sa father ko is self-employed siya since 1997. Ang ruling kasi ng SSS, kapag dati kang employed and nagstop from paying the contribution for sometime, kapag magstart kang magbayad ulit, self employed ang category mo. Sa case ng husband ko, who went unemployed and we started immediately to pay his contribution, ang category niya is Voluntary contribution. The contribution amount will depend kung magkano ang kaya ng individual. 

4) I made a phone call with SSS a month ago, asking if I can still increase the contribution of my father. Ang sabi nila, hindi na pwede per rules. They have changed the rules kasi ang alam dati, if someone increased his contribution for the last 5 years to maximum prior to retirement, maximum din ang pension na makukuha. Now, hindi na po. Once, an individual reach the age of 55, per year na po ang increase ng contribution. So since my father’s contribution ngayon is 990 (2015), next year na pwedeng magdagdag. He will be 58 and the contribution he can make is 1045. By the time na 59 na siya, he can contribute 1100. By 60, 1155 naman.

5) Earliest retirement age is 60. Kapag 65 ka na, mandatory na ang retirement whether self employed ka pa.

Hopes this helps.

God Bless. :)

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with SSS.For further inquiries, the SSS hotline is 920-6446 to 55.Or you can visit your nearest branch.



2 comments:

  1. I admire your patience in dealing with sss, ma'am. They are one of the worst government agencies i have ever dealt with. Vague is an understatement kase among themselves, they gave different information. Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with you. Naku, nakailang balik na ako para lang maintindihan ang mga bagay bagay sa kanila. Yung time consumed ko sa kanila, talagang sobra kasi I am busy din sa ibang bagay. Pero ayaw kasi ng parents ko na asikasuhin kasi mahaba ang pila tas kung saan saan pa sila pinapapunta...kaya tinatamad na sila. I have no choice. Nanghihinayang din kasi ako sa mga contributions nila dati. Sana talaga makatulong kapag nakapagfile na ng retirement ang tatay ko.

      Delete