Wednesday, March 27, 2019

James Patterson ~ Suzanne's Diary to Nicholas (Lessons Learned)

James Patterson ~ Suzanne's Diary to Nicholas Review: This is supposed to be the title of this post. But I changed my mind.

To be very honest, my title is not really suitable since I am not good at reviewing any books. But hope I can give justice to it since I personally love the book. Until now it makes me critically think about its content and trying to unravel what it means and how it can help my current situation.

It is timely that I get to read this book because I am currently facing the same thing as what Suzanne and Katie were experiencing.

Just give me a little background why in the midst of all these super hectic schedule of mine, I still get to squeeze reading. I am an 80s child where technology is just a sight a way but I belong to those who had experienced playing tag, soccer, baseball, imitating pink 5 in BioMan, Annie in Shaider,  Pink Ranger in Power Rangers, and baseball bat in the field. I belong to the generation where at 6 o'clock in the evening I should already be home or else the belt was already waiting for me. In all these things I get to enjoy, as a child who had learned reading at an early years, I am more enthusiastic with reading. Be it  Comics which was very popular back then, magazines like Liwayway, pocketbooks both in Filipino (I love Martha Cecilia that I wanted to be like her before) and English, songbooks, and any reading material I can get a hold of. I had great time spending times reading that sometimes I forgot to cook rice. (It was tedious to cook back then by literally starting the fire from wood and paper). I can say I am in a mid-range reader.

ctto: google photo
ctto: google photo
ctto: google photo

Back to the book in the title. This is a heartbreaking book I have first read this year. It is way too emotional and at the same time there are so many lessons learned.

1. Time is finite. We've known this so well. Even in savings and investing, the younger we start savings and investing, the sooner we are able to reap the rewards. It is fortunate if we all live long. But we can't be for sure know when we are going to breathe the last air in our lungs. It is good to treat every living moment with gratitude and love in as much as possible.

2. Work is a rubber ball in the five balls we juggle in life. If it falls, it will bounce back. Do not be afraid to let go when necessary and if it is already taking a toll on one's physical and mental health. We will be able to find a job that is not a work after all. Find the passion and develop it. At first, there are many hindrances and obstacles, but if we love it, we can surely beat it.

3. Health is wealth. This sounds like a cliche. I can always hear this from anyone anywhere. But in reality most of us neglect this part of our life. This is one of the five balls in our life. If we let it slide, there will be chances that it will break and there is no turning back. Lucky and blessed are those who are given second chances. But not everyone has the chance. And this we should not forget.

4. Family is everything. There maybe arguments. Times when we don't speak to one another. And even, fight over something. But at the end of the day, it will always be the same family who will catch you and be there for me when I needed them. There is no perfect relationship but we are the same family. This is one of the five balls of our lives. In the book, this is considered as made of glass. I know it can be a glass but it can also be rubber ball.

5. Friends are what keep us. A real glass for me. I don't know. I am not good at keeping friends. There were friends who come and go. What I know is that I treasure those who stay and accepts me as I am. Needless to say, I keep moving forward after a heartbreak with friends.

6. Integrity. This is ourselves. Our own self. What we do when no one is looking. When no one is appreciating us. When no one cares. It is being able to do the right thing in every situation. For every one. For our selves.

7. Bad stuffs happens sometimes and we need to keep moving forward. We always face a phase in our lives. If things go wrong, I have to remember that it will pass. I have to remind myself not to dwell on it and to pick up myself and look for the better out of it.

8. Always be grateful. Satisfaction comes from always being thankful each and every single moment of our lives. I will no longer look for something and somewhere just to feel contented. Because I know in my heart that what I have is enough. More than enough.

9. We is always so much better than I. Two heads are better than one. I know this from the very start. But being married to a loving husband, this makes it a lot more easier to make tough decisions. Decisions that we both agreed upon and face the consequences together. We do not have a perfect life choices but together I know we can make it through.

10. Live our lives. It is temporary. It is with a span. It has expiration. And sometimes that expiration is unexpected. We need to live and let others live the way they wanted to live their lives. I choose to live this way.



What do you think? For me I think, I'll hoard more of James Patterson's book. By the way, I preferred the hard bound copies best that e-books. I don't know but every time I turned a page and smelled the molded texture ignites a feeling of excitement.


No comments:

Post a Comment