Wednesday, March 13, 2019

How To Protect Oneself from Identity Theft


11 Missed Calls!


Honestly, who would want 11 missed calls from different numbers on a daily basis? It is annoying right? Not just that, seeing 11 missed calls makes me a little nervous as I scroll down the numbers listed. Of course, if it is coming from my mother, I wouldn't wanted to missed that call. Yet, it turned out, the calls are coming from companies offering credit cards, cash loans, auto loans, and others. Had I still been my old self, I would probably grab one those offers, especially when I had loans left and right. But, the new version of me who has learnt the hard way has finally identified that the interest I will be paying for the loans should not come to total waste of money.

I've been answering the calls whenever I get the chance and had been declining those offers and balance transfers and all they say is "I will note it here". But in the next few days, calls are still coming in. Do you experience the same thing?

There are many reasons why I don't give in to these calls, personally.

1) I am not sure if these are even legit.

2) I don't give authentication details to these calls. I only give the information if I call the hot line itself.

3) I avoid phishing and texters. Online dictionary defined phishing as the fraudulent practice of sending emails purporting to be from reputable companies in order to induce individuals to reveal personal information, such as passwords and credit card numbers. Texters on the other hand is through the use of sms or text messaging.


4) I am not confident with how they handle information.


5) I do not know how telemarketers works. But it is bothersome on my part. Anyone knows how to block these numbers?


In these digital age where our information is available through the centralized information systems of the banks, credit card institutions, and government, it also makes us prone to all these fraudster and our information being stolen.


We have to protect our identities and our hard earned money. We have to be always vigilant and careful with sharing our personal information. Fraudster are always on the look out of opportunities to be able to get money or your identity to steal money in your behalf.


1. Limit how much information you share. Never share your personal information such as your middle name for men and maiden name for women. Your birth date. Your mother's maiden name. These are often use to authenticate ourselves for our accounts.


2. Scrutinize the received e-mail. Fraudster sends email and lead us to click a link which may compromise our Internet security and privacy. If in doubt of an email, do not hesitate to delete the email immediately. Or if you receive suspicious email, it is always a good habit to call the institution hot line to verify and confirm if the email is legit. 

3. Properly dispose the important documents which contains delicate information such as your name, mother's maiden name, address, security numbers, birth date, and other pertinent information. 


4. Use caution when shopping in stores or dining in restaurants. Sometimes, you will be ask to fill up some survey, be careful with the information you share. Also, when using your credit cards to pay your bills. 


5. Safeguard your mobile devices. This is pretty straight forward. We've witnessed how a stolen phone can be easily access by the thieves and used the credentials in your behalf. Even a broken phone with details can be compromised.


6. Always monitor the financial and credit statements. It helps if we always check our bank records to be able to identify any anomalies and unknown transaction. Otherwise, if it is already a certain period of time ago, if you plan to dispute, it will no longer be honored.


7. Stay alert. 



Note that I do not discount all calls. There may be calls which are legitimate. Trust your instincts.

ctto: google photos


No comments:

Post a Comment