Friday, January 6, 2017

First Posts on Being Frugal



I was contemplating on what will be my first post this year. Although I have so many things in my mind, I just can't seem to decide which is which.

Anyway, before I review my 2016 Financial Goal Blog, this is what I decided to post/share with you.

My 2016 is a bit rough when it comes to finances. We are still living on a single income.

I am not complaining. I still have a full time job plus the online selling. It all helps to provide the basic needs for all of us while trying to save and invest on the side.

I am basically trying to teach everyone in the household how to save and live a frugal lifestyle.

Mahigpit na kung mahigpit sa pera. Even to my extended family. This is tough love I am trying to show.

Lessen eating out. The struggle is real when it comes to eating out. My hands are already full with the full time job plus the online shop and with a 3 year old, that sometimes, eating out is our only option. But, since, we have so little budget for dining out, we have tried so much not to go overboard. Thanks that we are located near a market where it is accessible anytime of the day to buy a little cheaper than mall price ingredients. We usually prepare those easy to make dishes.

Always bring packed snacks at work. Fast foods are becoming pricey nowadays. My 100 peso one meal in the fastfood, can stretch to 5 days packed snacks. I just have to settle for the free vending machine in the office.

Walking. I see to it that when time permits, I walk my way to the office and back home. Yes, it will consume some time which should have been devoted to the online shop, but it is also my way of reflecting my thoughts while walking briskly. Clears my mind sometimes. (Note: Alabang area is still not that much crowded in the morning or evening)

Always turn off/unplug the appliances when not in use. This is very basic. But with the hassle of following a 3 year old, from one area to another, we often forget that the electric fan or the tv is still on.

Buy only what we can consume and always check the expiry dates. First in, first out. We do not stock so much in the fridge basically because my 3 year old is not a fan of frozen foods nor canned goods. Thus if we go to the grocery, the biggest portion is her milk, mineral water, and diaper. All other else were of lesser quantity which are sometime on sale or an alternative to a brand. For those items on sale, always check the expiry dates.

Buy in cash whenever possible. Or use the debit card instead. I know credit cards has many perks and rewards. Like for example, right now there is a promo for BPI credit cards (http://www.bpicards.com/RealThrills/Items/35)that when you have a minimum of P3,000 single receipt regular/straight transaction at any merchant, you will be entitled for a Jollibee coupon. This is actually encouraging, but when buying and the total price did not meet the requirements, there is no need to buy more and instead pay in cash. Use and manage the card wisely. Never indulge in too much just to have the rewards/perks.

Plan ahead. We have a short staycation on the Christmas eve because I was at work on the Christmas day itself. (It is what I sign up with when I entered in the company over 8 years ago.) Because, I can't come home, we decided to bring my in laws in the city. We have set the budget on a limit (saving the money for a period of time) and we just stayed in the rented place the whole time, cooking our own meal, playing with my little girl, chatting, and video call with the sister in laws. Overall, we all enjoyed the stay.

Oh and the Christmas gifts? Well, I crocheted some items for my office mates. For my godchildren and family members, the gifts were bought since last October. Because, malls are overly crowded during December, we decided not to go on frenzie those days. Less stress. Less hassle. Less cramming.

All in all, sometimes, I feel like I overdo some of those mentioned above. Nonetheless, I welcome the feeling because it is more gratifying and fulfilling. (Just my perspective). :)


No comments:

Post a Comment