Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Excuses - It Stop Me Personally and Financially

Who's guilty with making excuses? Make an excuse to either procrastinate a task in the to-do-list or to abandon the whole idea itself? I am (Raised both My Hands, hahaha). Yes. I can say I am guilty of this.

Just to share, I had a conversation with a different set of individuals in the office some weeks ago. It was centered to the topic of investments and the future itself. Like what I have wrote in a previous post for an office mate of mine, these group of individuals are single, carefree, fun, and interested also with the different type of investments. As our conversation progress, along with the many inputs from one of my colleague and their awareness on the topic of financial freedom, yet at the end of it, the following words came, "Wala pang anda (other term for money)" and "Kapag nabili ko na yung gusto ko saka na ako mag start mag invest". Sounds familiar?
 
I attended a training a year ago where it was focused with women being in a leadership position and how do they handle work and life balance. What struck me the most was a testimony provided by one of the CEO. Her term "Stop making excuses" hit me hard. I know they aim for higher position or so I thought, and me, I am aiming to stay at home, financially free. But whatever the purpose or driver, still the idea is somewhat a big help to what she was trying to convey.
 
From then on, it rings to me every now and then.
 
I used to be on the list of buzzer beater or tardy on a daily basis. And I had to make an excuse on why am I late like the traffic, the housemates for being matagal, my alarm clock na hindi nag alarm at lahat ng pwede ko pang iexcuse for being late at work. When in all honesty, tamad lang talaga.  I had filed sick leave even though I am not sick because tamad akong pumasok, or ayoko lang talagang pumasok. I never ran out of excuses even on small things. Iniisip ko pa nga kung anong sasabihin ko para lang maexcuse. I even made myself excused from not learning financial literacy or yung retirement man lang kasi sabi ko kapag me edad na ako saka ko pag-aaralan ang ins and out of the business or investments. So typical. I was young, I was invincible, and feeling independent. And the end result of working for 10 years, ZERO savings.
 
That seminar opened something in me. At walang madali. I started at small things like writing it down first. Everyday, I reread it to myself. Remember my Mantra? Yes, I started with that and remind myself all these while that what makes me in the future is dependent only upon me today. I set that in my mind.
 
I started to wake up early, prepare myself to work and come in the office early. So whatever shift I am in, I make sure that I come in early. And yes, I did it. For the last 2 quarters of 2014, I was able to bag perfect attendance for not being late and also no sick leave filed. Kaya naman pala eh. Hahaha. And it made sense. Self fulfillment as well.
 
So when there are times that I feel like the 'Ningas Kugon' in me is starting to sit in, I have to tell my self that to be consistent with my financial and personal goals I do not have any excuses to just let it pass. Because to be honest, as I progress, I face hiccups, humps and even dead ends and the feeling of not moving forward settles for some time. It is really up to me if I wanted to stay in that comfort zone or move myself out of the way, fire myself with encouragements, and start making new progress.
 
Now this little reminder to myself helps, "If there's a WILL, there is a WAY"
 
Different strokes for different folks. God Bless! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment